Who are we?

The Perry family business first opened in Stourport’s Mitton Street in 1930 by Len Perry, a master butcher, who was born in the town. He moved to Lombard Street in the mid-1930s joined by his wife Lily, who was a pork butcher.

After their National Service sons Jim and Robin joined the family business.  Robin developed the butchery and Jim became a pioneer in the self-service grocery trade, creating the very first self-service store in Worcestershire.

Over the years the butchery and grocery businesses grew resulting in a complete rebuild of the property on the corner of Lombard Street and Lickhill Road, including purchasing the old Haven cinema. The original 600 sq ft store became 6,000sq ft. Sadly, owing to Robin’s heart condition, the business in the town was sold to the co-operative in 1977.

The original Areley Kings 600 sq ft self-service store opened in 1958. After developing all the useable space on the original site, a new site was acquired opposite and developed in 2006 to give a modern energy-efficient store of 2,800 sq ft, which all the customers love and remark “what an asset it is to the village”.

Mitton Street

Len Perry's Butchers shop in Mitton Street, 
before moving to Lombard Street.
(now the 1st Chinese takaway to arrive in Stourport).